CHICAGO-- U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Chicago) has left the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and politicians hope he addresses his constituents on his progress in dealing with bipolar disorder.
Gov. Pat Quinn says Jackson should address the public about his condition, now that the election is over. Jackson was released today (Tuesday) from the clinic after being hospitalized there for the second time. He has been on medical leave since June. Jackson hasn’t given any indication of when he’ll return to office.
Jackson won re-election last week. He remains under a House Ethics Committee investigation over links to ex-Gov. Rod Blagojevich. He’s also said to be plea-bargaining over the alleged misuse of campaign funds, though he has not been charged.
U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says he’ll wait and see what comes of those allegations. “I was troubled by them because they suggest the misuse of funds,” Durbin said. “I don’t want to assume a thing until all the facts come out but we are in a position of trust, public trust, when we run for office. We are held to higher levels and if there has been any violation there a price has to be paid.”
Quinn declined to say if Jackson should leave office, saying that decision was up to the congressman. Durbin says if the allegations are true then “it raises some serious questions about his continued service in Congress.”